Wednesday, October 7, 2009

process...

Here is my process as of the last full page comic I made.
  • idea / story formation - pencil, pen, whatever. just put it on the paper.
  • panel division - pencil all the panels or panel ideas with the contents, approximate size, text, etc. these dont have to be good, exact, etc but should give you something of a reference.
  • layout / panel design - using pencil, draw the layout. ie a rectangle with various squares and rectangles inside. evenly spaced of course. last time this took like 5 tries to get one that fit, its like an analog tetris.
  • outlining - use a very light pencil to sketch out the panels and maybe some composition onto the page that you'll be drawing on.
  • dark lines - use a marker to outline all of the panels, the background, pretty much anything that does not require gross detail. I ended up using marker for almost all of the drawing - probably not the best idea, especially for the face. I am still trying to find a happy medium for the line weight i want. marker looks good enough at arms length so whatever.
  • thin lines / detail - I use a fine point ball pen for all of the detail that the marker cant get. pretty much only some accent or definition lines. It can also be used to clean up some of the dirty marker lines if you messed up or something. again, I should of used the thin pen for some things instead of relying upon my steady hand to make really thin lines with the shitty marker.
  • I suppose the next step would be to scan it into photoshop and fix it up so you cant see overlaps, pencil marks, etc. I haven't gotten to this point yet but I will post the final page when I do scan it in... in a few hours.
So there you have it, the process I followed for my last page. I did a full page from JTHM the other day too. The process was a little different though - it was more like
1.pick up pen 2. look at jthm book 3.draw

No comments:

Post a Comment